Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Angle of incidence, RF modul, Comsol 4.2a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have issue. I have one metal block on substrate, and I want to illuminate it but at some angle (picture).

One half sphere is substrate, one half air.

Now I want to apply x polarization, scattered field.

I have two cases, first when substrate is also air, and second when substrate is glass (with index refraction ns).

In the case when substrate is air I applied equation: E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)).

In the case when substrate is glass I applied equation: E0*exp(-j*(emw.k*x*sin(phi)+emw.k*z*cos(phi)).

Or maybe in second case I have to write:

(1-sign(z))*E0*(-j*2*pi*x*sin(phi)/Lambda-j*2*pi*z*cos(phi)/Lambda)/2 +

+ (1+sign(z))*E0*(-j*2*pi*x*sin(phi)*ns/Lambda-j*2*pi*z*cos(phi)*ns/Lambda)/2

Tell me please for any of these equations are they correct.

Thank very much in advanced.

5 Replies Last Post Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2012, 11:17 a.m. EST
I want to know that you use the scattering boundary condition or the Port to input the light, and how do you set the wave direction or the propagation constant
I want to know that you use the scattering boundary condition or the Port to input the light, and how do you set the wave direction or the propagation constant

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 17, 2012, 11:53 a.m. EST

I used scattering boundary condition, but I am nor sure that I understoood second question about equation.
[QUOTE] I want to know that you use the scattering boundary condition or the Port to input the light, and how do you set the wave direction or the propagation constant [/QUOTE] I used scattering boundary condition, but I am nor sure that I understoood second question about equation.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2012, 12:44 a.m. EST
I think you can type E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)) in the "incident field", or you can just set kx=k0*sin(phi), ky=k0*cos(phi) in the "wave direction"
I think you can type E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)) in the "incident field", or you can just set kx=k0*sin(phi), ky=k0*cos(phi) in the "wave direction"

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2012, 9:42 a.m. EST

Hello,

I am not sure about second way. I used first way: E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)). I always use incidetn field, not wave direction.

Cheers
[QUOTE] I think you can type E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)) in the "incident field", or you can just set kx=k0*sin(phi), ky=k0*cos(phi) in the "wave direction" [/QUOTE] Hello, I am not sure about second way. I used first way: E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)). I always use incidetn field, not wave direction. Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 p.m. EST
Hello
Do you find that if you use the same incident field for example E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)), but select the different boundary as the input, the wave direction is different, do you know why?
Cheers!
Hello Do you find that if you use the same incident field for example E0*exp(-j*(emw.k0*x*sin(phi)+emw.k0*z*cos(phi)), but select the different boundary as the input, the wave direction is different, do you know why? Cheers!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.