Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What (multi)physics to use for electromagnetic actuator?

hejulian Biosensors and Bioelectronics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to model the deflection and heat development of an electrostatic actuator following this example: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6439/aa7970

The idea is to model a current carrying wire / thin metallic conductor beam in a permanent magnetic field. The lorentz force acting on the fire should push it in the direction perpendicular to the magnetic field and the electric current. Now I want to find out with COMSOL how much current I have to apply to get to a certain deflection and by how many degrees the wire would heat up with such current etc.

I am quite new to working COMSOL and so far I haven't found out which physics / multiphysics I have to use in my model. I started with a very simple geometry of a short gold wire in an air environment. For the physics I added Electric Currents, Magnetic Fields, Solid Mechanics and Heat Transfer. However I don't seem to get the expected result.

Does someone have experience with this?

Thank you.

Best,

Julian

0 Replies Last Post May 10, 2023, 12:09 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello hejulian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.