Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Very strange displacement values for eigenfrequency calculation of piezoelectric beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modelling a piezoelectric cantilever beam using the piezoelectric devices module in 4.2a. For certain beams, which have several piezoelectric elements on one beam, I get a very high value for the 5th eigenmode. My beam is 60 microns long, and 1 micron in diameter. The displacements are small for the first 4 modes, about 10^-2. But the displacement for the 5th mode is 10^2. I am not sure how to account for this. I know that one expects physically, higher displacement at the 5th eigenmode, but this value seems nonphysical. Im not sure it's a problem of the solver scaling because the other values make sense. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

1 Reply Last Post Oct 16, 2012, 4:40 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 4:40 p.m. EDT
Hi

You should read through the theory of Eigenfrequency analysis. This is an energy method and the amplitudes are normalised but arbitrary, only the shape has its true importance, and relative to each other.

With COMSOL you can normalise in different ways, also w.r.t. the participation mass of the modes, then their participating mass is related

Try a search on the Forum, you are not the first asking this question

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You should read through the theory of Eigenfrequency analysis. This is an energy method and the amplitudes are normalised but arbitrary, only the shape has its true importance, and relative to each other. With COMSOL you can normalise in different ways, also w.r.t. the participation mass of the modes, then their participating mass is related Try a search on the Forum, you are not the first asking this question -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.