Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Halving a model increases number of elements.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently attempting to reduce computation time of a simulation of a piezoelectric resonator.

The design is symmetric about a plane, and I have cut the model on that plane using a defined Block and Difference function. The model itself is imported from Solidworks.

For some reason, when I cut the model with the block, the number of elements when I mesh the resonator increase by 10 to 20 times what they were. Specifically, several edges that have been created by cutting the model are meshing to incredibly small element sizes. Previously the entire model could be meshed using standard free tetrahedral meshing with normal size, but now several edges fail at this setting. I have attached a screenshot of the mesh it produces.

So, instead of decreasing the number of elements I have achieved the opposite and dramatically increased them.
Any help determining what my problem is would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

0 Replies Last Post Jul 13, 2012, 12:14 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nick Froggatt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.