Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make a coating layer

Thanigaivelraja Mohandass

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

IN 3D, I have made a structure of cone with fillet option on the top radius . I want to make a coating over that cone structure as a coating layer. can anyone help me in this regard to form the design. Thanking you

3 Replies Last Post Dec 7, 2021, 8:54 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 1, 2021, 9:34 a.m. EST

Hello Thanigaivelraja,

The optional Design Module includes a "Thicken" functionality that lets you create a layer with a finite thickness over a 3D surface. See www.comsol.com/design-module for some screenshots.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Thanigaivelraja, The optional Design Module includes a "Thicken" functionality that lets you create a layer with a finite thickness over a 3D surface. See www.comsol.com/design-module for some screenshots. Best regards, Jeff

Thanigaivelraja Mohandass

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 6, 2021, 11:40 p.m. EST

Thanks for the reply. I am using 5.4 version , in that I cant able to find out the Thick layer option for any boundary physics condition. As you stated, the screenshots in that link were not clear. Can you able to help me in this issue .

Thanks for the reply. I am using 5.4 version , in that I cant able to find out the Thick layer option for any boundary physics condition. As you stated, the screenshots in that link were not clear. Can you able to help me in this issue .

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 7, 2021, 8:54 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Dec 7, 2021, 10:04 a.m. EST

Hello Thanigaivelraja,

1/ The Thicken operation existed already at version 5.4. But again, that feature was then, as it is now, available in the optional Design Module, so check whether your license includes that particular product. You can check on that by going to File > Licensed and Used Products.

2/ What I am talking about is a geometry operation, not a boundary condition, so make sure you are looking for it in the Gemetry branch of the Model Builder, not in the Physics branch.

3/ If you are specifically interested in applying a boundary condition to simulate the effect of the coating or how the coating is added (electrodeposition process? some other type of deposition process?...), rather than adding the layer as a geometry object, then I totally misunderstood your initial post and you can ignore all I said. My guess is that readers of this Discussion Forum will need substantially more information from you about what physics you are trying to simulate to be able to offer suggestions for mathematical boundary conditions that could achieve what you have in mind.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Thanigaivelraja, 1/ The Thicken operation existed already at version 5.4. But again, that feature was then, as it is now, available in the **optional** Design Module, so check whether your license includes that particular product. You can check on that by going to File > Licensed and Used Products. 2/ What I am talking about is a geometry operation, not a boundary condition, so make sure you are looking for it in the Gemetry branch of the Model Builder, not in the Physics branch. 3/ If you are specifically interested in applying a boundary condition to simulate the effect of the coating or how the coating is added (electrodeposition process? some other type of deposition process?...), rather than adding the layer as a geometry object, then I totally misunderstood your initial post and you can ignore all I said. My guess is that readers of this Discussion Forum will need substantially more information from you about what physics you are trying to simulate to be able to offer suggestions for mathematical boundary conditions that could achieve what you have in mind. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.