Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Associate a variable to a finite element.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am solving topology optimization problems. I am designing and optimizing field winding distribution in a electrical machine. My main problem is that I need to assign a variable to each finite element in the model and I am unable to do it. Is it possible? or am I wrong?

The goal is to obtain a variable that is a 0 or a 1 on each element of the mesh.

Thank you very much for your help!

Matt

1 Reply Last Post Apr 19, 2012, 4:06 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 4:06 p.m. EDT
Hi

the way I have understood COMSOL so far is that we do not adress the mesh elements directly, but we can address the domains or boundaries ... by their coordinates, and then COMSOl looks after the mapping to the mesh elements. One of the reasons is certainly that with the shape functions you probably do not have a straighforward mapping.

But if its to test some material proerties in a given location to "turn ot off" like in the shape optimisation examples, then take a look at the model library cases i.e.e the optmising L bracket I believe

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the way I have understood COMSOL so far is that we do not adress the mesh elements directly, but we can address the domains or boundaries ... by their coordinates, and then COMSOl looks after the mapping to the mesh elements. One of the reasons is certainly that with the shape functions you probably do not have a straighforward mapping. But if its to test some material proerties in a given location to "turn ot off" like in the shape optimisation examples, then take a look at the model library cases i.e.e the optmising L bracket I believe -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.