Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to make the model using Chemical Engineering Module. My model has electrolyte solution as the domain. I would like to set the the current density as the boundary conditions.
As long as we use Nernst-Plank equation and so on, the electric conductivity (sigma) is determined by concentration and ionic mobility automatically even if we set a certain value of conductivity in the materials setting.
In my case, even if I set the electric conductivity of water (domain) to 5.5*10^-5 S/m, the calculation result provides us the much bigger value which was calculated from concentration and ion mobility of chemical spieces like Na+ and Cl- .

Is there any way to set the electric conductivity and current density at the same time without setting concentrations ?
It looks like we can set them using the Electric current in the AC/DC module. But it is not covered by the chemical engineering module license. Is there any other way to make it ?

Thank you

0 Replies Last Post Apr 13, 2012, 5:53 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dicke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.