Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material Model f0r Nitinol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Afternoon.

I am trying to model the forced response of 3D Nitinol geometries. Unfortunately the standard material library for COMSOL only presents materials that are hyperelastic, which does not involve a phase change like the one shape memory alloys such as Nitinol exhibit. Trying to represent the material using the hyperelastic material leads to some inconsistencies in the result. For simulation purposes is it enough to use the Neo-Hookean or Mooney-Rivlin formulations for the hyperelastic material as a substititue for the superelastic NiTi? As far as I know this is not an acceptable assumption due to the aforementioned phase change with shape memory alloys.

I was wondering if there exists a model library for shape memory alloys, and if such a library exists, where I could procure it.

However, if such a library does not exist, has anyone tried to alter the PDE formulation to represent the constitutive equations used to represent superelastic materials.

In essence I was wondering whether or not I have to reinvent the wheel in order to creare a material model that is suitable enough to represent the forced loading behavior of superlastic, shape memory alloys like Nitinol (NiTi)?

Thanks for your response.

Best,

Atma Bhawuk

2 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2017, 10:35 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Atma Bhawuk

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 a.m. EDT
I am also trying to look for that. I would appreciate if you (or someone else) can help me a bit with this. It would be very nice to have a simple model (a SMA wire, for example)

Thanks!
I am also trying to look for that. I would appreciate if you (or someone else) can help me a bit with this. It would be very nice to have a simple model (a SMA wire, for example) Thanks!

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 31, 2017, 10:35 a.m. EDT
Hello,
I am very new to comsol. I am trying to simulate the behavior of SMA. There is ti-ni material available in comsol. But does that take care of the phase transformations( austenite to martensite and vice versa) internally?

Can anyone help me with simple model of nitinol (a SMA wire, for example)

Regards
Vasudha
Hello, I am very new to comsol. I am trying to simulate the behavior of SMA. There is ti-ni material available in comsol. But does that take care of the phase transformations( austenite to martensite and vice versa) internally? Can anyone help me with simple model of nitinol (a SMA wire, for example) Regards Vasudha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.