Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to recover the initial and boundary conditions from a result in comsol?

Fernando Diego Engels Crespo

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, suppose i have a component in comsol from which i obtained several different results with different boundary and initial conditions. Is there a way to obtained the boundary conditions applied to each different result?and how would i do thar? i suppose there has to be a way but i cant find it.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 17, 2020, 10:02 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 17, 2020, 10:02 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Oct 17, 2020, 10:04 p.m. EDT

If you specified each of those different bc's and/or initial conditions in different .mph files, then those specifications would still be there, after problem execution. On the other hand, if you specified each of those different bc's and/or initial conditions as parameters, using a parametric solver, with storing all the results along the way, then the results (when you go to plot them) will be organized in accordance with with the conditions (the parameters) that were set to obtain them.
So (either way in the above scenarios), the boundary and initial conditions you specified are not lost. And they are specifically associated with your solutions, after and during execution. So, anyway... if you are creating and executing Comsol Models that generate results, and store those results, yet somehow throw away the information about the boundary conditions and/or initial conditions along the way, I'm rather curious how you are accomplishing that. (By some chance, are you running Comsol Multiphysics via Matlab?) Regardless, do you have an example file (or set of files) that clearly exhibits this strange behavior? If so, please post it to the forum, so other users can see what is happening in your model and can offer specific and more helpful suggestions. Best regards.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If you specified each of those different bc's and/or initial conditions in different .mph files, then those specifications would still be there, after problem execution. On the other hand, if you specified each of those different bc's and/or initial conditions as parameters, using a parametric solver, with storing all the results along the way, then the results (when you go to plot them) will be organized in accordance with with the conditions (the parameters) that were set to obtain them. So (either way in the above scenarios), the boundary and initial conditions you specified are not lost. And they are specifically associated with your solutions, after and during execution. So, anyway... if you are creating and executing Comsol Models that generate results, and store those results, yet somehow *throw away* the information about the boundary conditions and/or initial conditions along the way, I'm rather curious how you are accomplishing that. (By some chance, are you running Comsol Multiphysics via Matlab?) Regardless, do you have an example file (or set of files) that clearly exhibits this strange behavior? If so, please post it to the forum, so other users can see what is happening in your model and can offer specific and more helpful suggestions. Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.