Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow induced noise

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I would like to simulate the attenuation due to a diffuser into a steam valve silencer (industrial application). These artefacts normally shift the low frequency spectrum created by a mass flow into a duct, to higher frequencies thanks to a perforated plate and plenum. So due to the velocity changes into the perforate and the plenum, the low frequency spectrum is attenuated, but another high frequency spectrum is created, which will be attenuated with a dissipative silencer.

For this case, As initial condition I have the mass flow rate at the inlet, the temperature and the static pressure of the gas. The sound source is the flow itself.

Is it possible to calculate the flow induced noise with COMSOL 5.4, and then be able to calculate the transmission loss of the diffuser as well as the velocity field of the flow? I was thinking to use CFD (k-epsilon) model and then use Pressure Acoustics setting an ideal gas as a fluid model, or with aeroacoustics. The problem is that I think with these physics is not possible to calculate the flow induced noise.

Thank you in advance and I hope I make myself clear.

Regards, Sergio

0 Replies Last Post Oct 4, 2020, 7:45 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sergio Rodriguez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.