Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Out of memory error during parametric sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am running a parametric sweep on a model which takes up a lot of RAM.

I usually get an 'out of memory' error after about 10 study steps. However, if I run the parametric sweep with fewer steps over the same range it works fine.

Does anyone know how to approach this type of problem?

Many thanks in advance!

5 Replies Last Post Mar 6, 2012, 4:33 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2012, 12:42 p.m. EST
Try increasing Java Heap size. There is a KB article on how to do it.
Try increasing Java Heap size. There is a KB article on how to do it.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2012, 1:14 p.m. EST
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried increasing the heap space to 10GB without any luck so far.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks for your reply. I have tried increasing the heap space to 10GB without any luck so far. Do you have any other suggestions?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2012, 1:20 p.m. EST
It worked for me.

Of course you can always try to decrease DoF, it would definitely help with out of memory error. How many DoF do you have and what's your RAM size?
It worked for me. Of course you can always try to decrease DoF, it would definitely help with out of memory error. How many DoF do you have and what's your RAM size?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2012, 2:45 p.m. EST
Decreasing the DoF by modifying the mesh has helped, however I really need to use a finer mesh. The simulation that worked had around 200000 DoF in every step of the sweep and Comsol never used more than about 5 GB of ram. There was plenty of free RAM in any case even in the simulations that didn't work.

Aside from the java heap space do you know if there is anything else that I can change which will allow me to use more DoF?
Decreasing the DoF by modifying the mesh has helped, however I really need to use a finer mesh. The simulation that worked had around 200000 DoF in every step of the sweep and Comsol never used more than about 5 GB of ram. There was plenty of free RAM in any case even in the simulations that didn't work. Aside from the java heap space do you know if there is anything else that I can change which will allow me to use more DoF?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 6, 2012, 4:33 p.m. EST
No, sorry. Try contacting support.
No, sorry. Try contacting support.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.