Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can we delete the temporary files created by COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI,

Can we delete the temporary files created by COMSOL? It is creating temporary files of 10 GB or so which is eating into my Harddisk? Will it create a problem in again opening my COMSOL file and running it?

1 Reply Last Post Mar 3, 2012, 10:54 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 3, 2012, 10:54 p.m. EST
Rather than delete the cumbersome temporary files, I try to generate fewer, and smaller, ones instead. In the new version (4.2a) of Comsol Multiphysics, the following seems to help quite a bit:

1. Chose "Options", then "Preferences," and then In the "General" tab, de-select "Save Recovery File."
2. De-select "Out-of-core" in the solver settings.

If you do the above, the software generally won't do nearly as much writing and reading to disk. But you may need more RAM.
Rather than delete the cumbersome temporary files, I try to generate fewer, and smaller, ones instead. In the new version (4.2a) of Comsol Multiphysics, the following seems to help quite a bit: 1. Chose "Options", then "Preferences," and then In the "General" tab, de-select "Save Recovery File." 2. De-select "Out-of-core" in the solver settings. If you do the above, the software generally won't do nearly as much writing and reading to disk. But you may need more RAM.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.