Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining steady state results as a initial condition for trasient problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to define the steady state results(temperature distribution) as a initial temperature distribution.

Is this possible and can you tell me how?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Dec 20, 2011, 3:25 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 3:30 a.m. EST
Hi

if you mean you have solved a steady state and saved the result (for dependent variable T), then you can write in "T" in the initial conditions, as "T" is a filed and its rather T(x,y,z) you are defining in this way, but the (x,y,z) is dropped by the COMSOL writing convention
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you mean you have solved a steady state and saved the result (for dependent variable T), then you can write in "T" in the initial conditions, as "T" is a filed and its rather T(x,y,z) you are defining in this way, but the (x,y,z) is dropped by the COMSOL writing convention -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 11:36 a.m. EST
Dear, Ivar

Firstly, I greatly appreciate your fast reponse and that helped me.

1. You mean after solving the steady state solution for the first time, and save the results(study 1)

2. Then, add study 2 for transient case and write 'T' in the initial condition tab, right?

3. another question : if I want to solve the transient solution from the results not from 0 second but from

30 seconds, would you give me advice?

Thanks
Dear, Ivar Firstly, I greatly appreciate your fast reponse and that helped me. 1. You mean after solving the steady state solution for the first time, and save the results(study 1) 2. Then, add study 2 for transient case and write 'T' in the initial condition tab, right? 3. another question : if I want to solve the transient solution from the results not from 0 second but from 30 seconds, would you give me advice? Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2011, 3:25 a.m. EST
Hi

you can link the two solver steps by adding a stationary + a time series one after the other under the same main study node.

Now how to get to t=30[s] directly, not sure as it would strongly depend on your BCs, if these are cte or time dependent ..., you can in any case use different time steps and change several range() range() operators, provided the time is monotonously increasing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can link the two solver steps by adding a stationary + a time series one after the other under the same main study node. Now how to get to t=30[s] directly, not sure as it would strongly depend on your BCs, if these are cte or time dependent ..., you can in any case use different time steps and change several range() range() operators, provided the time is monotonously increasing -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.