Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bias Electric Field Variation in Semiconductor due to High Light Intensity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am simulating a semiconductor substrate under the illumination of a high intensity light (a laser). I have two electrodes with a bias voltage of 30V sitting on top of the substrate, and the laser is focused on the gap between the electrodes. I need to measure the drift photocurrent at the center of the gap produced by the generated electron/hole pairs. This current should be driven by the lifetime of the electrons and holes. However, after some point time, my electric field in the semiconductor substrate decreases so much that the drift current is not driven by the carrier lifetime any more, and it is driven by the decrease of the electric field. I was wondering if anyone has experience a siminlar issue. Some people call this screening effect, but I am not sure if I should experience this in such a way that it affects my photocurrent. I may be missing an inportant setting in my physics.

I am using a Caughey-Thomas mobility model, Shockly-Read-Hall and Auger recombination, and I am applying the generation rate with an user defined recombination model with the negative sign. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jose Santos.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 30, 2019, 6:25 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jose Santos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.