Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting average cross sectional values vs. length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL 4.1 to model the temperature distribution in engine exhaust pipes. The model includes air laminar flow inside the pipe & heat transfer in fluids (air).
I am interested in plotting the average cross sectional temperature of the pipe vs. the pipe length. I tried to create surfaces along the pipe & calculate the average over each surface this method is not convenient knowing that I need to plot the average temperature using the maximum pipe length resolution that I could obtain.
I think this should be a basic feature in COMSOL, so are there any suggestions to solve this problem?

6 Replies Last Post Apr 13, 2012, 6:52 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2011, 7:16 a.m. EDT
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2011, 7:28 a.m. EDT
You can use the projection operator to do this. In Model/Definitions/Model Coupling menu.
You can use the projection operator to do this. In Model/Definitions/Model Coupling menu.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 9, 2011, 8:09 a.m. EDT
not yet
not yet

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 10, 2011, 3:59 a.m. EDT

The problem is that the projection operator works only for triangular and tetrahedral meshes.

" Note: It is only possible to use projection model coupling with simplex elements such
as triangles and tetrahedra. " (comsol user guide)

If your are simulating gas flow, you want to have boundary layers mesh elements. So, is there another way to do?
[QUOTE] You can use the projection operator to do this. In Model/Definitions/Model Coupling menu. [/QUOTE] The problem is that the projection operator works only for triangular and tetrahedral meshes. " Note: It is only possible to use projection model coupling with simplex elements such as triangles and tetrahedra. " (comsol user guide) If your are simulating gas flow, you want to have boundary layers mesh elements. So, is there another way to do?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2012, 5:13 a.m. EST
I have exactly the same problem!
Did you solve it? How?

Thankyou
I have exactly the same problem! Did you solve it? How? Thankyou

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 13, 2012, 6:52 p.m. EDT

Hi Alain, could you please be more specific? I already tried so many times with that operator and read over and over the UNhelping help, and I still can't get COMSOL to do it. I try to get the average Temperature and Velocity as a function of length, so I need the average of those values on each dx "slice" of my 3D geometry. Thanks a lot!
[QUOTE] You can use the projection operator to do this. In Model/Definitions/Model Coupling menu. [/QUOTE] Hi Alain, could you please be more specific? I already tried so many times with that operator and read over and over the UNhelping help, and I still can't get COMSOL to do it. I try to get the average Temperature and Velocity as a function of length, so I need the average of those values on each dx "slice" of my 3D geometry. Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.