Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free convection from the environment.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm attempting to model the heat transfer of a certain geometry. Essentially, the geometry has a series of connected "holes". I wouldn't consider it to be microfluidic or a porous media, as the holes are rather large (approximately 1/2 inch diameter holes). The problem is, I can't get the solution to converge, and being new to COMSOL, I have no idea where to start.

For simplification, I'm using a 1"x1"x1" cube with a 3/4" x 3/4" holes through the cube in each direction. Obviously, the goal would be to have a bunch of these geometries connected, but if I can't get a single one to converge (fewer elements, therefore faster computation), then I'll never get a bunch of them to converge. I'm using the non-isothermal flow module. For boundary conditions, I have one side set at 400K, and another at 300K. The rest are insulated. I can get this model to converge, as its a straight forward heat transfer problem. But I'd also like to know the effects of free convection. If I place a volume force on the fluid domain (F = -nitf.rho*g), the model shows a nice flow inside the cube. But now I'd like to open up the boundaries to ambient air . I selected open boundaries on each of the faces of the fluid domain. But once I do this, the model does not converge. It won't even converge if just 2 of the faces have open boundaries. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post Jul 25, 2011, 11:47 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Devin Pettis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.