Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do you model free surface of rotating water in 3D? (forced vortex formed at top surface) (solid body rotation of a fluid)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to model rotating water in a cylinder.
The top surface is in contact with air and I'd like to model the free surface on top of the water that is part of a forced vortex that forms (in a form of a paraboloid) as the water rotates.

I created an outer fixed domain and an inner rotating domain.
How do you model this 'solid body rotation' of a fluid in "3D"? (Laminar, rotating flow) (If possible, I'd like to avoid using 2D axial flow)

Do I enter velocity vector field using "Inlet"? What x y z vector should I enter in this case?
How do I set moving mesh velocity and decide which part does and doesn't move, if I had to use moving mesh?
Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Jun 27, 2011, 1:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello JC

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.