Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How combine 2D PDE with 1D ODE for boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
How can I add boundary condition (constraint) for 2D model as a solution of 1D ODE defined on this boundary? I use PDE interface.
The physical problem is:
Two electrodes (high voltage and grounded, the grounded one is covered with dielectric film). Dependent variable is 'u' - electric potential. Laplace equation for u in two domains (dielectric and free space). Dielectric surface charged due to electric field:

dsigm/dt ~ n*grad(u), sigm = surface charge defined on 1D boundary.
Initial condition: sigm = 0.

I have to determine ODE for sigm in separate 1D model (mod2) because of Comsol can't combine 2D and 1D equations in the same model (is this correct?).
This surface charge affect on boundary condition for Laplace equation (mod1). Constraint for dielectric surface is:

nx*up(ux) + ny*up(uy) - epsilon* (nx*down(ux) + ny*down(uy) ) + mod2.sigm/epsilon0_const *1[F/m]

I have tried to couple 2D and 1D models with Identity Mapping

... +mod2.idmap2(mod2.sigm/epsilon0_const *1[F/m] )

but get "Wrong map search dimension in extrusion coupling operator."

Can you help ?

0 Replies Last Post May 19, 2011, 9:37 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vladimir Karalnik

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.