Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh error: how to find the point?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi to everybody,
I'm new to Comsol and maybe my question can result a little bit stupid.. in this case please forgive me!

I'm tring to mesh a 3D spring pipe (diameter 5.5 mm) with some small holes (diameter 1 mm). Everytime the software gives me this kind of error:

"Failed to insert point.
Coordinate:
6.28319,5.40856"

I imagine that there is a problem in the geometry (that I have imported with the CAD import modul), but I can't understand how I can find these coordinates in my draw in order to try to fix the error...

Thanks a lot for your attention and help!

Roberta

5 Replies Last Post May 9, 2011, 3:42 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 4:58 a.m. EDT
Hi

for "complex" or looping geometry it's worth to mesh manually, by parts, or even launch some seed points on critical edges / surfaces

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for "complex" or looping geometry it's worth to mesh manually, by parts, or even launch some seed points on critical edges / surfaces -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 7:54 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I agree with mr Ivar. Most of the times with complicated geometries I do mesh manually, however I have always been having problems with seeding a circle or a cylindrical surface.

Comsol uses polynomials to approximate a circle thus if I define the coordinates of a point using the equation of the circumference, the point is always outside the circle. Is there any way to avoid such a drawback? I have trying to change the settings for the approximation but, alas, to no avail!

Cheers
Hi, I agree with mr Ivar. Most of the times with complicated geometries I do mesh manually, however I have always been having problems with seeding a circle or a cylindrical surface. Comsol uses polynomials to approximate a circle thus if I define the coordinates of a point using the equation of the circumference, the point is always outside the circle. Is there any way to avoid such a drawback? I have trying to change the settings for the approximation but, alas, to no avail! Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 2:20 p.m. EDT
Hi

I mostly seed a circle by selecting the edge and defining a distribution along this edge (you can even apply a function to the distribution to get uneven increasing or decreasing separations)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I mostly seed a circle by selecting the edge and defining a distribution along this edge (you can even apply a function to the distribution to get uneven increasing or decreasing separations) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 2:41 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your replays, they are very helpfull!

I'll try following your suggestions, but unfortunately I'm not so expert in the art of meshing... perhaps you can suggest me same teaching books or papers...

Thaks a lot again!
Roberta
Thank you for your replays, they are very helpfull! I'll try following your suggestions, but unfortunately I'm not so expert in the art of meshing... perhaps you can suggest me same teaching books or papers... Thaks a lot again! Roberta

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 3:42 a.m. EDT
Hi

No I do not have any books to propose, but I must say you learn meshing by doing, so follow and try examples passing on the forum, follow the videos, the exercises in the model Library ...

That is the best way, but start simple to get used to the different commands

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi No I do not have any books to propose, but I must say you learn meshing by doing, so follow and try examples passing on the forum, follow the videos, the exercises in the model Library ... That is the best way, but start simple to get used to the different commands -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.