Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solvers that good at suddenly strong transient ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If a model contains suddenly strong transient, which solvers should I choose ?

1 Reply Last Post May 2, 2011, 3:58 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 2, 2011, 3:58 p.m. EDT
Hi

I believe the issues is a bit more multi-disciplinarythan that ;)
My advise would be to try first the default COMSOL choice, but help the solver by giving ranges of steps at a thight space around regions you now are "spiky". Then to ensure that your transition are made "smooth" with Heavyside type functions (many built-in into V4 default functions)

Finally the "stepping" settings of COMSOl are default "automatic" which mostly adapt best to assymptotical regular responses. If you have periodic driving signals, its worth to use "strict" or "intermediate" to tell the solver to either strictly solve your values (only) or to adjust with AT LEAST ONE step inbetween your defined steps. In automatic mode, after a "calm" region with a low gradient change, the sovler could decide of a large step that overshoots a smal spiky behaviour you have define. Then the interpolated results will appear "flat" and you will miss your features.

Anyhow, too spiky driver functions make the life for the solver very tough and it might not converge at all within it's predefined number of iterations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe the issues is a bit more multi-disciplinarythan that ;) My advise would be to try first the default COMSOL choice, but help the solver by giving ranges of steps at a thight space around regions you now are "spiky". Then to ensure that your transition are made "smooth" with Heavyside type functions (many built-in into V4 default functions) Finally the "stepping" settings of COMSOl are default "automatic" which mostly adapt best to assymptotical regular responses. If you have periodic driving signals, its worth to use "strict" or "intermediate" to tell the solver to either strictly solve your values (only) or to adjust with AT LEAST ONE step inbetween your defined steps. In automatic mode, after a "calm" region with a low gradient change, the sovler could decide of a large step that overshoots a smal spiky behaviour you have define. Then the interpolated results will appear "flat" and you will miss your features. Anyhow, too spiky driver functions make the life for the solver very tough and it might not converge at all within it's predefined number of iterations -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.