Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Methods deal with the problem of "out of memory" ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

1. If "out of memory" occurred, is it helpful if I select the Out-of-core check box, and increase the number of In-core memory (MB) to fix this error?
2. If this method can work, what is the uplimite of the number of In-core memory (MB)? the computer's internal memory (for example, if my computer's internal memory is 2GB, then the uplimite of the number of In-core memory is 2GB)?
3. How many kinds of methods are there to deal with the problem of "out of memory"
Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Mar 18, 2011, 2:12 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2011, 2:12 a.m. EDT
Hi

I use two methods:
1) simplify the model (use 2D, symmetries, simplified physics from domains to "shell" boundary conditions ...
2) got a new PC/WS with plenty RAM (for the moment)

if you are "just" at the limit on do not want to test 1 or 2, you can spend (loose?) some time trying
a) use iterative solvers instead of direct ones
b) run in server client mode

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I use two methods: 1) simplify the model (use 2D, symmetries, simplified physics from domains to "shell" boundary conditions ... 2) got a new PC/WS with plenty RAM (for the moment) if you are "just" at the limit on do not want to test 1 or 2, you can spend (loose?) some time trying a) use iterative solvers instead of direct ones b) run in server client mode -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.