Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am doing simulation of helix coil. I want to find inductance and ac resistance of the coil. I had a problem with meshing. It is saying that the following feature have problem :tetrahedral1. Can any body give some hint how to do meshing. I am attaching my model. Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Pranith

1 Reply Last Post Mar 4, 2011, 1:24 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2011, 1:24 a.m. EST
Hi

One way: select one of the coil section boundaries, mesh the boundary reasonably, and sweep mesh the rest of the coil (you need to indicate start stop boundaries, then sweep mesh the two straight wires. Then Select all coil boundaries 3*4 surfaces and convert them to "tri". Then you might mesh the remaining "air".

But you will probably get error messages, because you need a very fine mesh in the vicinity of the coil and the way the coil loops around the mesher has problems to converge.

My wa in such cases is to "box" the item with a smaller volume i.e. a hollow cylinder region about 1 coil diameter all around the coil section (start by excluding the straight wires) then free mesh this small volume with normal, and then finer step by step until it meshes (if not decrease the box volume around the coils and start again). Then finally you might mesh the surrounding air.

By the way I ,mostly use a sphere air volume as then you do not have any "corners" singularities and the infinite element shell is quicker to set up (but perhaps slightly slower to solve ?)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi One way: select one of the coil section boundaries, mesh the boundary reasonably, and sweep mesh the rest of the coil (you need to indicate start stop boundaries, then sweep mesh the two straight wires. Then Select all coil boundaries 3*4 surfaces and convert them to "tri". Then you might mesh the remaining "air". But you will probably get error messages, because you need a very fine mesh in the vicinity of the coil and the way the coil loops around the mesher has problems to converge. My wa in such cases is to "box" the item with a smaller volume i.e. a hollow cylinder region about 1 coil diameter all around the coil section (start by excluding the straight wires) then free mesh this small volume with normal, and then finer step by step until it meshes (if not decrease the box volume around the coils and start again). Then finally you might mesh the surrounding air. By the way I ,mostly use a sphere air volume as then you do not have any "corners" singularities and the infinite element shell is quicker to set up (but perhaps slightly slower to solve ?) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.