Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to select boundary condition for 2 or 3 different material those are not sholdered or not firmly joined but attach by pressure, for example pressure contact IGBT.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I want to draw and simulate IGBT chip + DBC + Base plate those are in contact by an external pressure from top towards bottom direction. in this case, i splitted different materials connecting layers but i am facing difficulties to mention the boundary condition of the additioal layers due to splititng into the coupling place for the Heat transfer due to conduction(ht). without splitting, it autometically shown the option 'contunity' but after splitting what can i select. by splitting, i need to observe the mechanical stress and to compare it with firlmy joined IGBT. i also facing difficulties to select boundary condition for conductive media DC (emdc).

please give me some idea.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Rony

2 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2011, 9:14 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2011, 3:57 p.m. EST
Hi

indeed when you have multiphysics models sometimes the same boundary should be continuity for one physics and act as a "assembly" type boundary for another. I havent really trid this out, but it seems rather logic to me then to use "assembly" mode on every boundary that has at least one non-continuous flux link. And then make a lot of "pairs" and add continuity pairs for the physics that require this, and contact or thermal isolation, or thin boundry thermal or electrical impedance for others.

It takes some time, but I do not see how else to do it. Unfortunately in v4.1 all non-composed boundaries are flagged as assembly boundaries, and you must relink them all by hand, in v3.5 they were (almost) all predefined automaticaly as identity pairs with continuity as these are often the majority

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed when you have multiphysics models sometimes the same boundary should be continuity for one physics and act as a "assembly" type boundary for another. I havent really trid this out, but it seems rather logic to me then to use "assembly" mode on every boundary that has at least one non-continuous flux link. And then make a lot of "pairs" and add continuity pairs for the physics that require this, and contact or thermal isolation, or thin boundry thermal or electrical impedance for others. It takes some time, but I do not see how else to do it. Unfortunately in v4.1 all non-composed boundaries are flagged as assembly boundaries, and you must relink them all by hand, in v3.5 they were (almost) all predefined automaticaly as identity pairs with continuity as these are often the majority -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2011, 9:14 a.m. EST
Hello Lvar,
Thanks for your reply. yes, to split, i used 'Assembly' to get 2 layers in the contact place of two materials. but when i go for solving then i couldn't get any solution. i am trying. thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Rony
Hello Lvar, Thanks for your reply. yes, to split, i used 'Assembly' to get 2 layers in the contact place of two materials. but when i go for solving then i couldn't get any solution. i am trying. thanks for your reply. Regards, Rony

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.