Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Additional diffusion terms in PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to have two diffusion terms in any PDE equations that COMSOL provides. So far it does not seem to be a simple task.

Is there a way to define a new PDE from scratch other than using predefined format in COMSOL?

Any input is appreciated.

Best,

Fengtao

4 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2017, 9:55 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 13, 2017, 5:28 p.m. EDT
Hello Fengtao,

Both approaches (i.e. adding terms to an existing physics interface on the one hand, and setting up your own PDE entirely from scratch on the other hand) are possible and both are documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, Chapter 16. All manuals are found under File > Help > Documentation.

You will also find several tutorials on the topic of equation-based modeling in the Application Libraries.
I hope this helps you get started.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Fengtao, Both approaches (i.e. adding terms to an existing physics interface on the one hand, and setting up your own PDE entirely from scratch on the other hand) are possible and both are documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, Chapter 16. All manuals are found under File > Help > Documentation. You will also find several tutorials on the topic of equation-based modeling in the Application Libraries. I hope this helps you get started. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 16, 2017, 1:08 p.m. EDT

Hello Fengtao,

Both approaches (i.e. adding terms to an existing physics interface on the one hand, and setting up your own PDE entirely from scratch on the other hand) are possible and both are documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, Chapter 16. All manuals are found under File > Help > Documentation.

You will also find several tutorials on the topic of equation-based modeling in the Application Libraries.
I hope this helps you get started.
Best regards,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Appreciate it! I went through the document and tried a couple of approaches in COMSOL but it seems that I cannot add additional terms based on General Form and Factor Form PDEs.

However, the weak form PDE is interesting. The problems is that weak form PDE only deals with space domain and the time domain (for transient problems) cannot be implemented.

Any idea or comments?

Best,

Fengtao

[QUOTE] Hello Fengtao, Both approaches (i.e. adding terms to an existing physics interface on the one hand, and setting up your own PDE entirely from scratch on the other hand) are possible and both are documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, Chapter 16. All manuals are found under File > Help > Documentation. You will also find several tutorials on the topic of equation-based modeling in the Application Libraries. I hope this helps you get started. Best regards, Jeff [/QUOTE] Hi Jeff, Appreciate it! I went through the document and tried a couple of approaches in COMSOL but it seems that I cannot add additional terms based on General Form and Factor Form PDEs. However, the weak form PDE is interesting. The problems is that weak form PDE only deals with space domain and the time domain (for transient problems) cannot be implemented. Any idea or comments? Best, Fengtao

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jun 19, 2017, 10:02 a.m. EDT
Hello Fengtao,
Maybe I misunderstand your last post. It is definitely possible to set up time-dependent equations in the weak form (and in the general form and in the coefficient form - there is no factor form).
Should you need further assistance, please contact COMSOL's technical support team: support@comsol.com .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Fengtao, Maybe I misunderstand your last post. It is definitely possible to set up time-dependent equations in the weak form (and in the general form and in the coefficient form - there is no factor form). Should you need further assistance, please contact COMSOL's technical support team: support@comsol.com . Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 19, 2017, 9:55 a.m. EDT
Appreciate it Jeff
Appreciate it Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.