Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating current densities

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a problem in which I need to determine the current densities for each point in a surface given constant potentials in those boundaries. After that, I need to use those current densities as the initial values for a new simulation over the same geometry. Is there a way to do that (simulate, get results, use those results as the initial boundary conditions for a new simulation)??

Thanks a lot,

Antonio

3 Replies Last Post Feb 1, 2011, 2:57 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 11:13 a.m. EST
Hi

I would answer rather: yes. You need to store the result from the first model and use that as initial conditions for a second run. Its far easier in v4.1 than 3.5, where probably you would have to use matlab to control it (I'm not sure if you could manage with the 3.5 sequencer, directly).
But still in 4.1 you need to manually switch BC's or other physics conditions between he runs as there are no links (yet) between the solvers and enabling/disabling different BCs in a single model

This is my best generic guess, it all depends on your model, there is no 100% certified reply I would say

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would answer rather: yes. You need to store the result from the first model and use that as initial conditions for a second run. Its far easier in v4.1 than 3.5, where probably you would have to use matlab to control it (I'm not sure if you could manage with the 3.5 sequencer, directly). But still in 4.1 you need to manually switch BC's or other physics conditions between he runs as there are no links (yet) between the solvers and enabling/disabling different BCs in a single model This is my best generic guess, it all depends on your model, there is no 100% certified reply I would say -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 11:32 a.m. EST
Do you know what specific API commands I would need to use to implement this idea????

thanks,

Antonio
Do you know what specific API commands I would need to use to implement this idea???? thanks, Antonio

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 1, 2011, 2:57 a.m. EST
Hi

for the time being I haven't had time to study the API interface, but as I manage to do 99% of my needs within the COMSOL GUIs now (not the case in 3.5) I stick to this, just because the day has only 24h ;)

But there are plenty of others out there that have certainly studied the APi interface

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for the time being I haven't had time to study the API interface, but as I manage to do 99% of my needs within the COMSOL GUIs now (not the case in 3.5) I stick to this, just because the day has only 24h ;) But there are plenty of others out there that have certainly studied the APi interface -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.