Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model 2D Fluid Structure Interaction FSI if solid collides with the wall / boundary of fluid domain resulting in it's partition? Symmetrical Model of Human Glottis / Vocal Folds

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Community!

Currently I'm working on a 2D symmetrical model of human vocal folds. The problem is very similar to that presented within the FSI tutorial (Application ID: 361). The differences are:

1) the beam is a very compliant composite - structure consisting of 4 layers with Young's moduli from 3 [kPa] to 65 [kPa]

2) the fluid is air at atmospheric conditions (constant velocity of 0.4 m/s at inlet & zero gauge pressure at outlet )

3) when large deformations occur the beam may collide with the boundary of fluid domain (opposite wall) separating it

4) the opposite boundary of the fluid domain works as a symmetry line (slip condition)

5) dimensions of the whole domain approximately 10mm x 20mm

I use fully coupled solver. I do mesh the domains separately with free quads or mapped quads.
I do often observe convergence issues especially when solid domain is in contact with the boundary of fluid domain.

What could be a viable way to solve this problem (relating to meshing, solver settings etc.)? What must attention be paid to?

I'm a newbie in FSI. I'm very grateful for any constructive advices.

With kind regards

Alexander

1 Reply Last Post Nov 21, 2016, 5:50 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 21, 2016, 5:50 p.m. EST
Dear Alexander, interesting problem! I just responded to your related question on my blog: www.comsol.com/blogs/fluid-structure-interaction-fsi-using-comsol-multiphysics/. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck, Nagi
Dear Alexander, interesting problem! I just responded to your related question on my blog: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/fluid-structure-interaction-fsi-using-comsol-multiphysics/. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck, Nagi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.