Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Average in one direction over a model side ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to model 3D transient heat transfer in a solid. The geometry is made of a cube, which is drilled by a cylinder (that means, there is a hole).

I would like to compute the average value of temperature over this cylinder in the direction of the generating line (that means, integrating the temperature at each position on the axis over the circle perimeter), and then export it to a 1D-model, for each time step while solving.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this ?

Thanks,
Charles

2 Replies Last Post Mar 4, 2012, 7:49 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 1:04 p.m. EST
Hi

check the doc on extrusion or rather projection coupling variables for your case

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc on extrusion or rather projection coupling variables for your case -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2012, 7:49 a.m. EST
Hi, Ivar, I've been staring at the documentation for 3 days. At least, any/all of the entries that show up if I type search "general projection".

I'll give COMSOL support a phone call tomorrow.... (This is my fault for working on COMSOL on weekends!!)

Are there any example models in the library that use general projection operators?

Regards, John
Hi, Ivar, I've been staring at the documentation for 3 days. At least, any/all of the entries that show up if I type search "general projection". I'll give COMSOL support a phone call tomorrow.... (This is my fault for working on COMSOL on weekends!!) Are there any example models in the library that use general projection operators? Regards, John

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.