Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

plane strain model. orthotropic materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm a beginer in comsol.
I have an orthotropic material to model and I have a plane strain conditions. In subdomain physics appears jjust a Young modulus as the material just can be isotropic?
Someone knows that?

1 Reply Last Post Dec 21, 2010, 2:47 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 21, 2010, 2:47 a.m. EST
Hi

depending on the physics you can select anisotropic, orthotropic, isotropic ... so everything is possible. If you hppen to work in a module where such properties are not defined in the physics you must adapt them xyourself, then use the material properties naming defined for anisotropic Structural materials, then its easier afterwards to use the ,material in other physics too.

To learn how Comsol has defined the material properties, take a look on the underlying equations (it takes some time to get used to the naming convention but you should manage ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi depending on the physics you can select anisotropic, orthotropic, isotropic ... so everything is possible. If you hppen to work in a module where such properties are not defined in the physics you must adapt them xyourself, then use the material properties naming defined for anisotropic Structural materials, then its easier afterwards to use the ,material in other physics too. To learn how Comsol has defined the material properties, take a look on the underlying equations (it takes some time to get used to the naming convention but you should manage ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.